Thursday, June 15, 2017

freed up

Today I wore a saggy t shirt and my grandpa's ball cap and zero makeup and I ate a few cookies and it felt good. 

There's not a standard God's holding above my head. The bars that I can't ever seem to reach no matter how hard I jump or how many people I try to help or how many sit ups I do or how long I stay on my knees in prayer; God didn't put those bars there. 

He, in fact, doesn't like those bars. 
 He loves me and it's finished. 

The perfect role model, the perfect body, the perfect daughter, the perfect evangelism techniques, the perfect diet, the perfect prayer life, the perfect budget, the perfect friend; 
I can't reach any of it. And that's ok. 

God sees me exactly how I really am, very un-perfect, but very covered up with the perfect righteous ways of Jesus. And He's thrilled with me. 

2 Corinthians 3:5 
Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God.

God's not disappointed in me. 
God's not disappointed in me. 
God's not disappointed in me.
(Try saying it out loud. That's what I like to do)

I'm not trying to tell you to get lazy, stop trying, or to eat the whole pie for lunch. God's about excellence and sincere effort, while at the exact same time, He's about enjoying helpless little babies who are un-talented. And messy. That's me. 

When I hold those stupid standard bars above my head, I can never reach them. They're unattainable. When I stretch up big and reach hard to touch them but still come up several feet short, it makes me feel like a big pile of ugly awful.
Yeah. I never knew I had these unholy standards, but God's Spirit showed me, real gentle-like one night, that I did. And He told me He wanted to remove them. I told Him He could. He started blowing on all those standard bars (there were several), and when He blew, they disappeared. And I started getting freed up. 



Then He showed me a fabulous verse that's full of good news; 
"bring in here the poor and crippled and blind and lame." 
Jesus said that in Luke 14:21, talking about who He's wanting at His table. Me! I qualify! I'm poor and crippled and blind and lame and good enough to sit at the same table as the King of kings. 

"You're good enough, you're good enough, you're good enough."
This is the sentence God keeps saying to the deep part of me and those words are going deeper.

The stupid standard bars still pop back up, but He's helping me notice them sooner, and He loves when I invite Him to blow them away. He's the Great Standard-Remover and I love Him. 

“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” 
-Romans 8:1





free
adjective
comparative adjective: freer

not or no longer confined or imprisoned.