Sunday, January 24, 2016

I want to love you like family

The couple to my left paid off my student loans once. One time, after a six month separation, the baby laid her head on my shoulder and patted my back for minutes. The girl at the end of the couch flew me to Disney World for a week when I graduated college. The little boy on her lap loves spending time with me. The couple behind the couch have laid down their own lives so everyone sitting in front of them can know what love looks like. 

I could write for the next year and not cover the love that these seven human beings have shown me. 

Do you know who God wants us to love with that strong 
family-love?
Everybody. 

God's Love is big-time extravagant and He wants us to give this Love to not only our biological families, or our most-loveable friends, but to every single human being possible. 
Even the quite-difficult-to-love ones. 


God's wanting to pour out extravagant love on your next door neighbor and the lonely man in the hospital and your children and the blind woman in the nursing home and your pastor and your 
co-workers and your ex-husband and the hurting teenage girl and your grandpa and your waitress and the other 7 billion people we're sharing this globe with. Do you know who God is looking? He is looking for someone to say, 
"Yes, I'll be Your funnel. Send Your Love through me."

I want to say it. I want to help God do what He really wants; to pour out His big-time extravagant Love on everyone. He's looking for some funnels. 

My family members are good funnels, and they keep passing His Love on to me. I'm learning all the time that He loves me a lot and He's using them (and others) to show me that. 

He says this intense, pay-off-someone-else's-student-loans kind of love is the kind of love He wants me to give to people. I'm not capable of loving everyone like this, but boy! He sure is! If we'll let Him, He'll supply us with the outrageous family-style love so we can freely give it out to everyone. Really, everyone. 

Loving people like family is showing them what God looks like. He is Love Himself! 

God looks like the person who always leaves you feeling encouraged, like you're awesome and the world is lucky to have you.
God looks like the friend who just keeps wanting to hangout with you, even though you've got attitude problems that have driven your other friends away. 
God looks like the generous relative who knows you're in a bind and gives you a chunk of their own hard-earned money to help you out. 
God looks like the dad who has given his life to hard work so he can provide a comfortable life for his family. 

God looks like the strongest Love you've ever seen. 
Times a jillion. 

During my months in the U.S., I'm getting some love training from the professionals. This biological family of mine keeps showing me what love looks like (what God looks like). Then, I get to take my training across the ocean and spread this family love all around. 

When we're loved like this, it changes us. It molds us.

It seems like there are a lot of people who have never been loved rightly. They don't know what a relationship motivated by love looks like. God wants to change this for them, and He wants to use us to do it. 
Will we say, "yes?" 


No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us.

-1 John 4:12

p.s. If you don't have a great family, I'm sorry. I want you to know that God is looking at you right now, loving you with a love that is so big, our wildest imaginations can't imagine it. He wants to adopt you into His family.