Monday, October 26, 2015

feeling hope in unexpected places

I just spent a week in Myanmar (Burma) and I have a few things I'd like to say. 

A big summary statement:
God's got so much hope and it's pouring out all over me and it's really fun and peaceful and freeing to feel His hope. 

Myanmar is a place that you could rightly say has been through a lot. It's a third world country that holds the record for the world's longest civil war.  But boy, right there in the middle of pollution and oppression, do you know what God is feeling? Hope. And lots of it. 

We (a team from the ministry I'm currently serving in Hong Kong, Wings International) were able to go to two children's homes filled with God's little beauties who are singing Him songs, praying to Him, eating rice with Him, and letting Him pour hope into them. It was so fun to get to hangout with them. They know Jesus and getting to see their relationship with Him was refreshing.

The Moms and Dads who are raising these kids are heroic individuals who are shining brightly in a dark country. It was an honor to get to spend time with all these people; the pastors, the parents, the kids. Heaven is applauding them. 

Maybe you'll never go to Myanmar. Or maybe you'll move there. I don't know. But I do know that you'll face things in your life that could be called "dark," "hopeless," "hard," or "broken;" Myanmar-like days that feel like a third-world country in the middle of a super long civil war. 

But when you face such unpleasantness, guess what God is feeling? If you guessed "hope," then you guessed right. He just doesn't run out of the stuff. He looks for "dark, hopeless, hard, and broken" places just so He can show up and change everything. He likes doing that! So if you're facing a Myanmar of your own right now, you can relax. God isn't anxiously biting His nails, He isn't stressed, He isn't wondering if Satan is going to win this whole thing after all. Rather, He's feeling quite settled, confident, and peaceful. He knows what to do with crummy situations. Even yours. 

I'm not having to talk myself into feeling His hope right now. It's just what's at the front of my mind because He so clearly showed it to me during this entire week. So yeah. I just wanted to share my hopeful thoughts with you. God wants you to know that He wins. And He's feeling hopeful for Myanmar and hopeful for you. 

p.s. God likes when we have fun. That's something else I've been thinking about. I love God.

p.p.s. 
"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 
-1 Corinthians 15:55,57,58