Friday, August 14, 2015

orphans & mail


I spent about half of July in India with 500 orphans. Does that sound like a really nice thing for God to let me do? That's because it was.

I got back to my apartment in Hong Kong to find a letter in the mailbox saying I had a package from mom and dad waiting for me at the post office.
It weighed about 312 pounds, cost them $86.12 to send, and made me giddy.  

I floated the whole way home from the post office, hugging my package, and singing a song that went something like this,
"Randy and Jennie Short are my mom and dad, lalala, 
Thank you God, lalala."

My first look into the box made me cry. 
It was full of all my favorites; 
 Cinnamon Toast Crunch, two jars of peanut butter, a jar of almond butter, 15 Kind Bars, a new Fit Bit, Bubble Tape, pistachios, and two notes from my two favorite human beings.

My heart was filled up with the good feeling you get when someone makes it completely apparent how much they love you. There ain't no doubting it: my mom and dad love me.

Then I started remembering the 500 brown-skinned faces I'd just spent two weeks kissing.
They don't have peanut butter, they don't get mail, they don't have moms and dads. 

My parents spent $86.12 shipping my favorite snacks to me, while those 500 kids don't even have someone to tuck them in at night. Or a bed to be tucked into.
"Something about all of this is quite unfair," I thought.

Guilt started knocking on my door but I didn't open it for him. 
"God doesn't want me to feel guilty for being loved," was a thought God dropped into my mind. That thought was quickly followed by another,

"But to whom much is given, much is required."
(Luke 12:48)

God isn't upset that I'm loved really well. He's actually the reason I'm loved really well and He's making all that love happen. It does, however, give me a responsibility. 

God has said that because I'm loved outrageously, I get to love others outrageously. So because He's my Love Supplier, that's what I'm going to do. 

I'm under the impression that God wants people to love those 500 kids with the same outrageously strong love that I'm being loved with. He wants someone to care about their favorite foods, buy them presents, listen to their stories, hold them when they cry, and have fun with them as they live life. It seems to me like it's God's people's job to make this happen. 

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
- 1 John 4:12

Hey! Let's pray! Let's ask God to fill His people all  across the globe with an enormous love for those who need love the most. And let's ask God to teach His people how to care for orphans like Randy and Jennie Short care for me.
And then let's say something like this, 
"God, I want to love orphans (and all people, for that matter) as much as you love me. Teach me how!"

Amen. 
I love you guys.