Wednesday, July 1, 2015

for days when you feel like you've been hulk-smashed (grumblings/lessons from Hong Kong)


I'm in a pretty awful mood. 
I'm sick, my throat feels like a little bug slid down it with a sledge hammer, beating the slide as hard as he could the whole way down, my head feels like it's been hit with a wrecking ball about 7 or 8 times, and I'm in Hong Kong, about 8,000 miles away from my family. 

Oh, and my neck. My neck feels like the hulk got ahold of it and squeezed as hard as he could for about 15 minutes. Or 20. 

But here's what I'm deciding to do:
not be in a bad mood anymore.

I have no right to be in a bad mood. 

The truth is this; 
sickness only lasts for a minute, I'm going to be better before I know it.

I have two roommates in Hong Kong who love me, are taking care of me, and allowing me to spend a whole lot of time resting. One roommate is my new boss, and she bought me orange juice, bananas, and keeps giving me medicine to take. 

I have a family who loves me. And due to all of the technology God has blessed me with, I'm able to talk to them anytime I want. 

I have all the food I want to eat, I'm living in a really nice apartment, I have two legs that work, I have clean water to drink, in five days I'm flying to India, one of my favorite places on earth, and on and on the truth list goes. 

And here's the greatest truth of all, 
Jesus Christ loves me.
He has invited me to live in Hong Kong right now to love people with His love. 

He hasn't left me, but is right here with me in the midst of my moaning. 
(matthew 28:19-20)

God has allowed me to fly across the world to tell people about Him, to love His children, and to make His Kingdom grow. What an honor. 

I have no right to be in a bad mood. 

Sometimes we find ourselves in lonely, unfortunate days. Sometimes we feel like we've been hulk-smashed. Next time you find yourself in an awful mood, pray something like this,
"God, will you help me see this day like You see it?"

He'll probably point out things like your working elbows, the $400 phone you're holding in your hand, the fact that you're not starving, or the fact that you're not in a shark tank with hungry bull sharks. And then, He will definitely remind you of His love that hasn't gone anywhere. 
And before you know it, you won't be in a bad mood anymore. 


My throat still hurts. But my mood has gone from bad to pretty much good. God is good at doing that.   

 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
-2 Corinthians 4:18