Wednesday, June 17, 2015

notable events from my first 2 days in hong kong

6.16.15
-had coffee on the 6th floor of a 7-story mall 
-rode in the back of a truly beautiful red taxi
-rode in the 2nd story of a double decker trolley 
-was propositioned by a middle-eastern man who seemed to think I was a prostitute
-used the restroom in a public bathroom that had a big TV next to the toilet for entertainment
-learned that daily living in Hong Kong is more expensive than daily living in the U.S.
-got disgusted by that last one
-got un-disgusted when I let God remind me of His wealth
-picked some pretty flowers and put them in a glass jar
-met with 3 heroic type folks,  and then together with these heroic folks, brought kids in southeast asia before God in prayer
-spent time with the Maker of the universe on the apartment balcony, overlooking some really nice mountains He made
-listened to the Maker of the universe talk to me about how His Kingdom is like a huge tree where birds can come take rest in the shade (I think me and you are like those birds) Mark 4:30-32
-saw about a billion simply beautiful chinese children

6.17.15
-woke up at 1:30 a.m. and stayed awake until about 5 (hello, jet lag)
-got a typhoid shot from a gem of a woman named Wang. hurt less than a mosquito bite. but then my whole left arm went dumb and I felt a tad weak. but I won't be getting typhoid when I go to India in a couple weeks. and that's for sure
-spent time with my new remarkable roommate helena
-practiced speaking with my new remarkable roommate helena's cool south african accent
-did pull-ups on the subway using the hand rail things above my head, embarrassed becky
-used my Chinese "thank you" for the first time, really impressed the chinese man I said it to (my accent is on point)
-went down 48 flights of stairs
-went up 48 flights of stairs
-sweat like a man
-got downright happy when I saw becky wearing the wooden earrings my dad and I made for her
-bought a pair of sunglasses identical to the ones from my dreams (for less than $10)
-did some designing and admin stuff for wings international
-tried a chinese waffle that tasted like coconut
-picked some pretty flowers and put them in a glass jar
-spent time with the Maker of the universe on the apartment balcony, overlooking some really nice mountains He made
-listened to the Maker of the universe talk to me about how good He is at turning scary, horror-movie-type-characters into un-scary, kind-and-you-want-to-be-around-them-type-characters Mark 5:1-18
-saw about a billion simply beautiful chinese children