Monday, March 23, 2015

the most important moment of all

The longest I've ever gone without seeing my parents (my best friends) was a few months in 2013. I was in Thailand, they were in the U.S. I know a few months without seeing your parents isn't that long, especially considering that I'm sort of an adult, but I'm also still sort of a little girl, so a few months was actually quite a long time. 
I really missed my parents. 
Hugging them in the airport was about as happy a moment as moments come.

My mom captured my dad and I's embrace. 
I like looking at that picture. 
And it reminds me of a much more important, much more joyful meeting that I'm going to be having soon. 

Very soon I am going to be standing before Jesus Christ. 
All of the waiting, the praying, the crying, the wondering, the hurting--
it will all come to a close and I will be right there, with Him.
We will talk about our journey through my life, we will laugh at our memories, we will smile at our secrets, and I'll say, 
"Man. You were worth it all."
  
I'm going to see His Face. 
I'm going to look into His Eyes. 
I'm going to touch the hole in His Hand. 
We are going to be together, forever. 

I can't forget that this moment is going to happen. 
And it's quickly approaching (I'm 27!). 
When I keep this moment in mind, it changes the way I live my life. The decisions I make today are different when I'm thinking about standing before that Man. 

Today, thinking about the reality of meeting Jesus makes me want to give some more stuff away, spend a few more minutes talking to Him, tell a few more people about His great big love, buy less clothes, spend more money on other people, spend more time with other people, spend less time looking in a mirror, put more focus on bringing God's Kingdom to the earth -- all for one purpose; 
to learn to love. 

You know what Jesus wants for me more than anything else?
He wants me to learn to love. 
He wants me to learn to love Him, He wants me to learn to love people. That sums up His plan for my life. 
(Mark 12:30,31)

How can I love God today?
How can I love people today?
Those are two great questions for us to ask ourselves at the start of every morning. 
There are certain activities we can engage in and choices we can make that cultivate love in our lives. Some choices make love grow, some choices make love shrink. I want to spend the rest of my days on the earth learning what choices cause love to grow in my heart, and then making those choices (and only those choices). 

Bob Jones, a prophet who spoke to America about God's Kingdom, based his ministry and life off of an experience he had in 1975. He died and stood before Jesus. 
Jesus asked him one question, 
"Did you learn to love?"

He came back to life and spent the rest of his years focused on learning to love. 

Jesus isn't going to ask us how many friends we had, how happy we felt throughout our lives, how much money we had in our bank accounts, or how fit our bodies were. 

When I stand before Jesus I want to be able to say, 
"Yes. I learned to love."

Let's live today like that day is quickly approaching, 
because it is. 

"Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal."  
-Jesus 
Matthew 6:20

For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.
-2 Corinthians 5:10

And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak.
-Matthew 12:36

And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment,
-Hebrews 9:27