Wednesday, March 4, 2015

10 months in Louisville (basement dwelling 101)

The day is quickly approaching when I'm going to look back on the past ten months and miss them like crazy. 

On January 22, H.L. (that's my brother/pastor/landlord/friend) found out I loved a certain type of ink pen that writes oh-so-smoothly, so he gave me his (even though he really liked it). The next day I came back home after being gone a few hours and on the desk in my room was a gift bag with 17 of these fancy ink pens, two leather journals, and a card expressing his thankfulness for my "basement dwelling."

That's just one thoughtful/kind thing I've pulled out of the hat stuffed full of thoughtful/kind things the landlords have done for me for 10 months. 

The landlords thank me for living here pretty regularly. 

"Huh?"
is the only logical response. 

Since May 2014, my sister and her family have let me live in their house for free. 
They've let me use their hot water, electricity, super fancy (and super comfortable) mattress, weight room, stove, microwave, fridge, hot tub, yard, and heat, for free.
They've let me play with their beautiful kids.
Kara's fed me homemade meals. 
They've let me take over their one guest bedroom and drag all my weird stuff into it. 
And, they're just really fun. 

I'm the one who needs to be doing the thanking around here, not them. I'm not even that easy to live with.  



They moved here to start Daylight Church towards the start of 2014, and I joined them in May. Daylight Church is thriving. People who don't know Jesus get to know Him there. People with  questions get encouraged there and their faith grows. People who need new starts find them there. 
Heaven loves Daylight Church. 

God blessing Daylight Church is just one of the bright highlights of the past 10 months. 

Know what else? 
I've gotten to be a soccer aunt. 
I am most likely not ever going to be a soccer mom. So I have happily assumed the role of soccer aunt-- car seats, cub scouts, Legos, soccer games, strollers, patty cake, tag. 
Getting to spend all this time with my 11-month old niece and 6 year-old nephew, living with them and doing life with them, has been spectacular. 

Know what else?
I had a few goals to accomplish during my stay here and I can say that all of the goals have been met. And then some. Because that's how God does.  

Know what else? 
It all isn't roses. These 10 months have had plenty of hard days. Plenty. So don't be thinking my life is a Disney movie. The same way home-owning-and-not-traveling-around family life has hardships, so does basement dwelling. I'd start listing off the things that are a bit difficult in my life but I think that's sort of feeling sorry for myself and not sure it's going to help anyone. So I'm not going to. If you ever find yourself in a difficult-"I'm-not-married-and-don't-own-a-house" boat, then call me. We'll talk it over. But for now, know life is hard for all of us. But God is good. 

Know what else? 
I really love my landlords. I call them that because I think it's funny. My landlords/pastors/sister,brother/friends are about as thoughtful and kind as they come. All of me (heart/body/mind/spirit) is as healthy as it's ever been right now, and my landlords get a lot of the credit for that. If you ever get to live in someone's basement, I hope that someone is as awesome as Kara and H.L. 

AND, last but not least, 
if you're ever in Louisville, Ky, I'd suggest you stop by Daylight Church at 9 a.m. on Sunday morning. We meet in the Stonybrook 20 movie theatre on Hurstbourne Parkway. It only lasts an hour and there's great free coffee. I know the pastor and he's a pretty cool dude. I live in his basement. 


p.s. BASEMENT DWELLING 101
Being a basement-dwelling aunt is pretty awesome. In fact, basement-dwelling in general is pretty awesome. God asks some of us to own houses, plant flowers in our yards, and work real, full-time jobs. He asks others of us to not do any of those things. I'm in the "others of us" category. And that makes me a basement dweller. Since that category is what I'm familiar with, I want to say a few words about it. 

We're all just passing through here. This earth is not, is not, is not our home (I said it three times for emphasis). We're strangers in a strange land. That's what the Bible says in 1 Peter 2:11. No matter what sort of lives God asks us to live, we must all be careful as to not get too comfortable here. This earth isn't the place where we're supposed to store our treasures. Our investments need to be made in eternity, not in the few decades down here on this planet. One of the things that means is that we need not spend all of our money on fancy stuff that's going to rot. We need to spend our money on human beings and helping ministries/churches/people who are fighting for God's Kingdom on the earth. 

So, whether you own your own house or are living in your sister's basement, remember that your life on the earth is only a very short stop. Live like you're going to be dead soon. You are.