Thursday, February 12, 2015

why I take care of my body

In front of Whole Foods the other day I saw a sign that said this, 
"Treat your body like it belongs to someone you love."


Whole Foods is onto something here. If your body belongs to someone you're crazy about, wouldn't you want to take care of it for them? Make it as healthy as it could be? 



 If you're a Christian, then your body does belong to Someone you love. You really do belong to Jesus. Every part of you! Including the body that you're walking around in. 


"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?" That's what 1 Corinthians 2:16 says. Then verse 23 goes on to say that I am Christ's. I belong to Him. 

God thought up this thing I'm walking around in. He formed it in my mom's womb.
He molded my hands, He crafted my face, He pieced together my joints and bones, He decided to make the pink part of my fingernails really short, He fashioned the veins that are keeping all 5'5" of me flowing with blood, He's supplying oxygen to the lungs that automatically know how to keep filling with air--
 He thought every part 
of me up in His big God-Brain.  

He cares about our bodies! He designed them!

This body is the only one I'm going to get this side of eternity. 
I want it to be as healthy as it can possibly be. 
The reason isn't so I can post pictures of my stomach on instagram, parade around in a bikini come summer time, or make some dude think things about me he shouldn't be thinking. The reason, rather, should have nothing to do with any person down here. My body doesn't belong to my instagram followers, the folks at the beach, or any dude. It belongs to the Son of God who paid a high price for it and for me. I want to take care of my body for Him. My body is something that He cares more about than any person down here will ever care about. 

I've not mastered this whole thing yet, in fact, I just ate a piece of chocolate cheesecake for breakfast. BUT, God is patient.  Typically, I eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast, and usually feel pretty awesome an hour later. However, after my cheesecake consumption, my head is buzzing with sugar and feeling pretty not-so-awesome. That's because my body wasn't made to run on cheesecake. 
But, God is patient. 
He has gently been guiding me towards a healthier lifestyle.
Being healthy, like any part of obeying God, takes discipline. To not eat the dessert (probably my biggest failure at this point), to go run when my lazy legs want to stay inside, to lift weights when I'd rather not, to put only food in my body that my body needs--all this requires discipline.
 Discipline, discipline, discipline. 

 I wouldn't put vinegar in my car's gas tank and expect it to run. My car was designed to run on gasoline, not vinegar.
We put things in our mouths (regularly, if you're like me) that our bodies weren't designed to run on. 
If I care anything about my car, I'm only going to put gasoline in the gas tank. Why do we care more about our cars than we do our bodies?

"Most junk food is filled with salt, preservatives, saturated and trans-fats. Salt promotes water retention, so don’t be surprised if you wake up with a puffy face and a few extra pounds on the scale the morning after eating Chinese take-out. Trans-fats, such as hydrogenated oils, have no nutritional value and may over the long-term cause chronic health complications. An article in the April 2006 New England Journal of Medicine stated that “the consumption of trans fatty acids results in considerable potential harm, but no apparent benefit.” Make sure that at least 50 percent of your daily chow comes from vegetables, fruit and whole grains—and not from a box."
West Virginia University 

God loves you. 
Granted, He is far more concerned about your inside being healthy than He is your outside. But He cares about the outside, too. He wants all of you to be as healthy as can be. That requires some effort on our parts. Ask Him to help you be healthy. He will. 

God loves me. 
That's why I take care of my body.