Tuesday, July 15, 2014

it's really really important to remember things that matter


It's so easy to forget the things that we should never ever forget. 
And it's pretty easy to remember the things that really don't matter at all. 

This morning, did you remember to look in the mirror and do whatever you do to enhance your appearance? 
I'm guessing your answer is probably yes. 

This morning, did you remember that there are millions of hungry people in the world, thousands of children being prostituted globally, or 2.9 billion people who have no idea who Jesus is, and that God has asked you to do something about these things?
I'm guessing your answer is probably no.

There are some things in life that really really matter and some things in life that really really don't, and I'm pretty much amazed at how mixed up we get about which is which. 
I wish I wasn't one of the mixed up people, but I sure am. 

I go days without thinking about things that are front and center on God's mind. 
I go days without remembering the miracles that I've seen God work, the provision I've seen Him give, and the Words I've heard Him speak. 

There are people who live their entire lives completely distracted from the things in life that matter (lots of people, actually). 
And I refuse to be one of them. 

God wants to remind you and me about things that we need not forget. 
He's good at reminding and He's always been that way. 
Over and over in the Bible, you'll find the word, "remember," coming out of God's mouth as a command.
He knows all about our forgetful tendencies and He wants to help fix them. 
I recently finished reading the book of Deuteronomy and God says "remember" about a jillion times. 
He has to repeat Himself a lot because the people just aren't getting it. They're like you and me, and they keep getting distracted and letting the things that matter leave their memories. 

" Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
-Deut. 8:18  

That's just one of the jillion times in Deuteronomy God tells His people to remember Him.

This time of year, June/July, I'm usually living in an Indian orphanage, surrounded by the most beautiful human beings I've ever known, preaching the Gospel in fishing villages on the Indian Ocean, and sweating a lot. 

But right now, I'm sitting in the US of A and my bags aren't packed. 

I'm currently sitting in an air conditioned bedroom at a desk, using a MacBook Pro, drinking quality coffee, wearing American clothes. 

 It can be easy to keep being really American, doing comfortable American activities, eating tasty American food, earning American money, and to let my life become increasingly more important to me. 
When that happens, my friends across the ocean slip to the back of my mind and something that I feel strongly God has asked me to do--love and preach in Southeast Asia--becomes a small, faded memory.  

But I'm not going to let that happen. 
Or rather, God's not going to let that happen, because He's good at reminding. 
I'm going to remember my friends in Southeast Asia, pray for them, and wait tables to make money to fly to them. 

I'm going to remember the things God wants me to remember and that's just what I've decided (it requires a conscious decision).

I remember how God convinced me He was God when I was 5 years old.
I remember how He gave me Godly parents to raise me. 
I remember when I heard His Voice for the first time when I was in junior high. 
I remember the friends that I watched Him draw to Himself when I was in high school. 
I remember when He kept talking to me about India and urged me to go there for the first time when I was 22. 
I remember when He let me live through August 25, 2012 after being thrown headfirst from a motorbike into a metal pole. 
I remember how He's never failed to lead me to the places He wants me to go. 
I remember how He's never once not provided for me.
I remember, I remember, I remember that 
He is good, He is good, He is good. 


So let's all do some remembering today, mm?

Ask Him what He wants to remind you of and then listen. 
He'll tell you.