Monday, May 12, 2014

Come on, come on, come on!

Jesus is looking straight at me, 
and He's yelling it.

"Come on, come on, come on!" 
He says, cheering me on, day after day.

If you've been in a contemporary Christian church service at least once in the past few years, there's a good chance you've heard the song
I've sung that song about 7,000 times in church services, but I've yet to tire of it. The reason, I think, is this subject of God loving us greatly, hits something in the very center of our makeup. 
It's good to sing about our love for God, and He encourages us to do so, but the best thing to 
sing about/think about/talk about/read about/preach about, 
is HIS Love for US.

In Mere Christianity, Lewis said
"On the whole, God’s love for us is a much safer subject to think about than our love for Him."

My love for God cannot, will not, sustain me my whole life through. But His Love for me can and will sustain me my whole life through. 
It's the fuel for my love for Him. 
It's the fuel for my love for you. 
It's the fuel for my love for life. 

Sometimes I say things like,
"Will you let me love You more, Jesus?"
To which His gentle reply is always,
"Will you let me love YOU more, Abbie?"
He's the one cheering me on. 
He's the one who's still here with me. 
Even after all the looking away, the doubting, the sin, 
He's still here and He's still cheering me on. 

Are you in the middle of sin right now?
Jesus is looking right at you, telling you that you can get out of it today.
"Come on, come on, come on!" He cheers. 

Are you wanting to quit right now?
Jesus is looking right at you, telling you that you can keep going.
"Come on, come on, come on!" He cheers. 

Are you unsure about taking a step of faith towards Jesus?
Jesus is looking right at you, telling you He wants you to come closer.
"Come on, come on, come on!" He cheers. 

Are you needing to give up something/someone that you'd really rather keep? Jesus is looking right at you, telling you that you can leave it behind today. 
"Come on, come on, come on!" He cheers. 

Last week I made a new 3 year-old friend. He was beautiful, smelt like a stinky diaper, had a sort-of mohawk, and let me hold him on my lap. 
He didn't mind sitting on my lap, and even sort of enjoyed being closer to me, but he, without a doubt, didn't enjoy my company nearly as much as I enjoyed his. 
At one point, he put his little face about two inches from mine and just looked at me, for a kind of long time.
 He was close enough to smell my gum. 
I looked back at him and then he put his arms around my neck. 
Again, I'm certain he enjoyed this moment, but not even close to how much I enjoyed it.
I just loved his affection. 

It's a little bit like that with God, I think. 
We pretty much enjoy being closer to Him, sitting on His lap, close enough to smell His gum, but it doesn't scratch the surface of His great enjoyment of those moments. 
He likes being close to us way more than we like being close to Him.
I'm sure of that. 

God enjoys you. 
He doesn't tolerate you. 
He enjoys you. 

He doesn't kick you when you're down and say, 
"knew you'd never make it."
He gets down to where you are, extends His big God Hand, 
and starts cheering like crazy,
"Come on, come on, come on!"
We love because He first loved us.
-1 John 4:19