Monday, March 10, 2014

the big spectacular thing


I've spent an embarrassing amount of time waiting for the big spectacular thing to come. 
When I'm on the mission field in Southeast Asia, I have in the back of my mind that I'm sort of waiting for something. Like waiting for the day when I'm world famous or feeding millions of mouths or catching some billionaire's attention. 

When I'm in America, I'm waiting for the invite to speak at some world renown church, for some beautiful-perfect-take-care-of-me-and-fulfill-my-dreams hunk to show up on my doorstep with a ring, for my next trip to the mission field to change my life and be my arrival destination (the "ta-da, here's what you've been looking for moment"). 

Oh how I wait. 

The big spectacular thing that I've been waiting for is very real and is very much coming, but I've gotten mixed up on where its coming from and what it really is. The big spectacular isn't something this earth will ever be able to give me, but is actually a Being I will meet when I die. 
He is the big, He is the spectacular.

Maybe most of us leave our houses each day, yelling, 
"Where are you, big? 
Where are you, spectacular?"
And hard as we search, we just can't find it.

Waiting is what we were made to do, and there's certainly nothing wrong with hope. But the thing we were made to wait for is Heaven and an eternity of happiness. The thing we were NOT made to wait for is more of our own earthly satisfaction. 

Let's be careful what we're waiting for. 

If what I'm waiting for is to hear angels sing a song to their and my Creator, while for the first time, fully understanding His Love, then I can rest assured that I'm waiting for what I was made to wait for. This life is a quick stop before reaching the big, the spectacular. Eternity will begin very soon and when it does, those who have accepted what Jesus has offered (forgiveness and fellowship with Him), will find themselves in a big, spectacular Place, looking the Big, Spectacular right in the eye. That moment will be the "ta-da-here's-what-you've-been-waiting-for moment."

The grass is always greener, except for those who've decided to enjoy the maybe-not-the-greenest-color-but-still-a-pretty-shade grass that they're currently in. When your kids are being ridiculous and not appreciating that you've sacrificed your life for them, think, "Wow. I have kids. I've been given the honor of raising children, and THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS."

When I'm wondering why all the billionaires haven't noticed that I'm trying to love the world like Jesus and fund my loving with their billions, I need to think, "Wow. Jesus is letting me love His people. I've never had to be in want, and I never will, because He takes good care of me. I don't need anything more. THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS."

And so on. 
This thought:
"THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS,"
(On this side of eternity of course) is a healthy one. 
Today, this moment, is wonderful. I don't need a hunk to knock on my door to make my life wonderful, it's already wonderful.

Whatever you've been waiting for (I'm assuming there's something), think for a second if it's an eternal-God-wants-you-to-wait-for-thing, or a selfish-gonna-make-my-life-richer thing. If it's the former, drop it. If it's the latter, then keep on dreaming it.

There's quite a difference between looking forward to Heaven with hope, and thinking that your life here is awful and dreaming of more money, fame, and beauty. 
I don't want to wish my life away. I want to enjoy this moment, right now, knowing that eternity will be inexpressibly better, but this moment can affect eternity. 

Today is the day I was made for. 
My current relationships, environment, and lifestyle are making up today, and this is the best day I've ever been alive. 
This is the best day I've ever been alive.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else if which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same."
-CS Lewis