Sunday, November 10, 2013

I'm telling you, it's better

I travel the world. 
I've watched sunsets from a fishing boat on the Indian Ocean.
 I've preached the Gospel to former heroin addicts in Myanmar. I've listened to accordionists on the streets of Italy.
 I've canoed across the Moi River between Thailand and Myanmar.
I've laid my head on a tiger. 
I've taught orphans in India how to play Red Rover. 
I've seen the Eiffle Tower. 
I've led a Japanese women in Brussels, Belgium to Jesus. 
I've had my hair braided in cornrows by orphans in the  Bahamas. 

I'm not trying to brag about my awesomeness, because really, there's not any to brag on. 
There is Someone I know with all kinds of awesomeness and He is who I want to brag on. 
The thing is, anything cool/meaningful/rewarding I've ever done in my life has been a direct result of knowing Jesus Christ.  

Take Jesus out of my life and I'm an ordinary unfulfilled person, living an ordinary unfulfilled life.
When I come across a person who can't decide if they really want to serve Jesus or not, I wonder what exactly their other option is. Live a disappointing life full of themselves? That sounds just like what I want to do. Except not. And whether they realize it or not, the decider is only deciding between those two options, 
1) giving everything to Jesus or
2) Living a disappointing life full of themselves. 

Now there are plenty of people in the world doing kind and great things who do not know Jesus. Maybe more who don't know Jesus than those who do. But the non-Christian doing kind and great things is doing them, deep deep down, to help themselves.
 And that is selfishness. 
The pure-hearted Christian who is doing kind and great things is doing them because their kind and great King is worthy to be obeyed. 

I've not experienced a lot of things that most 
American 25 year-olds have experienced. 
But man, I wouldn't take any lover, any drink, any wealth, any anything, over the life that Jesus Christ gives me every day. 

When He said, "I came to give life and life more abundantly
 (John 10:10), He was telling the truth. 

I'm listening to Thai families visit with each other outside of my window as I write this. 
It's Sunday evening in northern Thailand and the sun is setting. 
My roommate and I are about to go get a Thai massage. 

Life with Jesus is full, 
and I'm telling you, it's better.