Saturday, March 16, 2013

stop with the show

Know what God doesn't like?
when people live to impress other people instead of Him. 
this is often done by putting on a show and living life like some sort of performance. 

For years and years I've been fighting the natural tendencies I have to impress people. My instinct is to do whatever I can to make other people think my life is awesome and that I'm about the coolest, prettiest, most happenin' thing they know.
God has shown me through the Bible that a life lived like that, like the way I naturally want to live it, is about as beautiful to Him as a pile of vomit.

It's of no use to Him when my #1 goal is to be considered amazing by the mortal human beings I'm surrounded by. 
What IS of use to Him is when my #1 goal is to do anything and everything HE wants. 
The things God wants are often very different than the things that people think are cool and important. 
That means when I make the decision to stop putting on a show for the all the world to see, and start only caring about how I can please God instead of people, I often lose the
 glam/you're-so-awesome praise from people. 
And that's A-ok. 
Suck it up today and live the different sort of (probably) unpopular life that your Creator is asking you to live.  

"Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts;
which devour widows' houses, and for a show make long prayers; the same shall receive greater damnation."
-Jesus
Luke 20:46-47