Tuesday, October 25, 2011

learning to relate.

What's the difference between a 17-year-old boy and a 23-year-old girl?

a lot.

Last weekend I took these 3 fellas on a road trip.
(and a teenage gal who rode shotgun)

I'm around teenagers every day of my life, and I like it that way, but after having my back seat filled with rowdy boys for 5 minutes, I knew I was in for a learning experience.

And I was. 

They behaved themselves, were real nice, and we had a lot of fun, but during those 2 days I was realizing that I don't know an awful lot about what it's like to be a teenage guy. 
 I have a better idea now that the weekend is over, but still have a lot of learning to do in the 
I-want-to-relate-to-everybody department.

It got me to thinking about how relatable Jesus is. He can connect with a 5-year-old girl in a Baptist Sunday School, a middle age Chinese man in his office, a 14-year-old Brazilian boy  chillin with his friends, a 90-year-old Pentecostal woman in Australia, and everyone in between.
How does He do that?

I'm going to spend the next few decades letting Him teach me.