Saturday, August 21, 2010

my great-grandma's house.

A large majority of the items in my home belonged to a great-grandparent at one time, including the house itself.

A great-grandparent who has somehow ended up sharing a lot of her possessions with me is my dad's grandma, Plumadell. She lived in that house for many years. My grandpa owns it now, and since he's nice and likes me, lets me stay there.

There's this shed in the backyard that I like to go exploring in when my house needs some new decor. The shed has a dirty, dusty, somewhat startling-when-you-think-about-what-could-be-living-in-it little side room. in that little room are things that belonged to great-grandma Plumadell that have been left behind. Of no value to anyone else in the world, but of great value to me. (such as the above flowery salt shaker that is missing its mate)

I dig a different really old little something out of there about once a week, spend 20 minutes washing the cob webs, dust, & spiders off of it, then stick it in a desirable spot in my home.

Plumadell (or Della, as some of her notes that I've found say) didn't do a lot of spending, but she once splurged on some maroon kitchen chairs.
my house guests now sit in those around the kitchen table.

This rusty-pretty blue-slightly tilted to the right-metal shelf hadn't seen
the light of day in a long, long time.
it now serves as a coffee bar of sorts.
Not sure if she was a coffee drinker, but I AM sure that she owned a
pretty sweet orange mug rack.
these are the newest edition! found them today.
Those, my friend, are great-grandma Plumadell cookbooks.
A bonus of hand-written recipes tucked away inside most of them.

There used to be an iron fence that ran along the side yard, it started getting rough, so it was torn down and the leftovers stored away in the shed. I grab pieces of that rusty iron fence and use them as picture-holder-things and vine-climbers.
















prior to moving in, I made up my mind that I needed every single glass in my kitchen to be a mason jar. But I only had a couple mason jars, which just isn't feasible for watering large quantities of house guests. So upon my first search through the treasure shed, you know what I found? a box full of mason jars. (plus some nice green bowls.) A few of the jars were the fancy blue-ish green kind. They got promoted to important positions such as living room twig-holding.





















there are many other shed treasures, but we're going to wrap it up with the plunger. I'm pretty sure rubber expires. And I'm pretty sure this particular plunger rubber expired many moons ago, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.